Happy Business Starts Here

Concurrency issues (429 HTTP response) common causes

Highlighted
Zuora Staff

Concurrency issues (429 HTTP response) common causes

Question or Problem Statement:
How can we review possible concurrency issues? We noticed Zuora is blocking our API calls with 429 HTTP response code. Can you provide some background and perhaps some common sources as to why we would receive this error?

If you found my answer helpful, please give me a kudo ↑
Help others find answers faster by accepting my post as a solution √

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Zuora Staff

Re: Concurrency issues (429 HTTP response) common causes

Solution:

This is related to our Concurrency Request limits outlined in our Knowledge Center: https://knowledgecenter.zuora.com/BB_Introducing_Z_Business/Policies/Concurrent_Request_Limits

Every Zuora tenant is allowed a certain number of dedicated processing threads which can be consumed by either very high rate or un-optimized code making duplicate calls.

High request rate.    If the rate at which Zuora receives and processes requests exceeds availability, 429 response will be given from our Application.  This can be complicated by large groups of slower performing requests (such as very large data requests coming in high numbers) which can consume existing processing threads for select periods.  The solution is to review and perhaps pace larger requests for data and set a reasonable retry timer to retry request within reasonable period (KC suggests 2 minutes).  Also, if this is a scripted (scheduled) job, you may want to schedule during off peak hours for your organization.

Duplicate requestsAnother common source of concurrency issues is duplicate requests.  In some API integrations if data is not cached for a select period, the API integration may continue to issue duplicate requests causing existing concurrency availability to be consumed.  Code optimization may be required to remediate.

If you need help determining source of any concurrency rejection, please contact the Zuora support helpdesk for assistance.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Zuora Staff

Re: Concurrency issues (429 HTTP response) common causes

Solution:

This is related to our Concurrency Request limits outlined in our Knowledge Center: https://knowledgecenter.zuora.com/BB_Introducing_Z_Business/Policies/Concurrent_Request_Limits

Every Zuora tenant is allowed a certain number of dedicated processing threads which can be consumed by either very high rate or un-optimized code making duplicate calls.

High request rate.    If the rate at which Zuora receives and processes requests exceeds availability, 429 response will be given from our Application.  This can be complicated by large groups of slower performing requests (such as very large data requests coming in high numbers) which can consume existing processing threads for select periods.  The solution is to review and perhaps pace larger requests for data and set a reasonable retry timer to retry request within reasonable period (KC suggests 2 minutes).  Also, if this is a scripted (scheduled) job, you may want to schedule during off peak hours for your organization.

Duplicate requestsAnother common source of concurrency issues is duplicate requests.  In some API integrations if data is not cached for a select period, the API integration may continue to issue duplicate requests causing existing concurrency availability to be consumed.  Code optimization may be required to remediate.

If you need help determining source of any concurrency rejection, please contact the Zuora support helpdesk for assistance.

View solution in original post