Happy Business Starts Here

Approval Process for product catalog

Savvy Scholar

Approval Process for product catalog

Can a customized approval process be added when a product is created in the product catalog?

6 REPLIES
Guru

Re: Approval Process for product catalog

@justinw Can you elaborate more on what you mean by approval process? Is this approval to add the product to Zuora? Or approval for people to use the product?

Also are you using Salesforce with Zuora?

There is no approval process right out of the box but depending on your use cases there are several options you can consider.

Savvy Scholar

@feisley, yes, this is an approval process for adding a product in Zoura. 

We are planning to use Salesforce with Zoura. 

The plan is to make Zoura the master for all products and enable the business user to create product.  Though we don't want business user to just blindly create product without an approval process because we need to make sure all the necessary attributes are correct before the product is released for booking.

What are the options can be considered for this use case?

Guru

@justinw There is no apprival process builtin to Zuora itself for new products. The system assumes if you can create a product in the system that it is approved. There is a minor checkpoint here that there is a separate permission required to synchronize the products to Salesforce. So if your team is quoting in Salesforce they would not see the product there until the person with permission to sync the product has done so.

I would tend to advise against allowing business users to directly add products themselves because doing so would require a knowledge of all the working parts of Zuora's product catalog and how to optimize your use of Products, Rate Plans, and Charges. In the case of our business we have an internal request form where the business can request new products and we review the requirements with them and implement it if approved by the approval chain in our helpdesk tool.

An alternative option to consider is making Salesforce the product master and have it sync back to Zuora's product catalog (this is supported in current versions out-of-the-box with enablement). Then you could employ Salesforce workflow, approvals, and even flows to walk your users through product creation. Given the extensibility of Salesforce via code and customizations, this would seem to be a good fit if you absolutely must allow business users to directly create products, but again I urge you to consider the flow i mentioned above.

Savvy Scholar

@feisley, thanks for your advice.  I have thought about having Salesforce as the product master but not all products need to go to Salesforce which is the reason that putting product master in Zoura may make more sense since the path is all the products will be invoiced out of Zoura.

Also I am used to the process where product is approved by business first and as system owner we have them created.  I am not against this process.  It's just that I would like to enable our business to create the product with less dependency from the system owner since our product setup is fairly straightforward.  But in order to do that, there needs to be some change management for it.  I think we may need to go with this route if we want Zoura to be the master.  Thanks.

Guru

@justinw unless you have a custom setup that I am unfamiliar with, its not currently possible to only sync part of the product catalog between Salesforce and Zuora. If Zuora is the master, then all its products will sync to Salesforce and if Salesforce is the master all products configured for Zuora will sync to it.

@nathanc may have some additional insights on the pros/cons to having Zuora vs Salesforce be the product master.

Zuora Alumni

One thing to keep in mind is that the prod cat sync from Salesforce to Zuora does require an enhancement every time a new feature is developed in the Zuora product catalog that results in new metadata, fields etc.   So it can lag behind the core product catalog sometimes.