Happy Business Starts Here

Re: Export / Import configuration

Export / Import configuration

It would be most helpful to be able to export a tenant configuration to a file, like meta-data or similar, and have the ability to import it into a tenant.  There are 2 use cases for this: first, to back up and archive configurations to satisfy auditor requests to validate no unapproved configurations have changed.  Second, in ensuring environment integrity in API Sandboxes or Services tenants to your source/production tenant.

28 Comments
giancarlofenu
Savvy Scholar

@lukasz Hi Lukas, any news about this improvement? Best regards

lukasz
Zuora Product Team

@giancarlofenu, thanks for asking. We're going to be rolling out the first release of this, currently internal, in May. Assuming that goes well, we'll follow up with a public release. Is there anything you're working on where this feature could help?

msonsma
Savvy Scholar

@lukasz Is there any prelimary documentation about what kind of configuration settings are included in the export/import set and how it deals with conflicts ? Can it do a diff between to tenants ? Does it include include custom reports and custom fields ( PLEASE!! ) ? And if there is no diff, is the export/import in a readable/logical/ordered format that it can easily be checked with thirdparty diff tools. 

lukasz
Zuora Product Team

@msonsma, we're still in internal testing and release cycle, so no public documentation is available right now. However, I'll say that this is simply a get/set API, that allows those operations either on one, a set, or all settings. Conflicts will be returned as errors. This API will not perform a diff, but you should be able to take two exports and diff them externally, that was one of the design goals. The plan is to include custom fields, I still need to look into custom reports, but I feel like that's in our scope, so it would make sense to include them.

rjohnson
Guru

@lukasz if you need some UAT on this I have two tenants that I am going to be merging and would happily give it a shot in my sandbox

lukasz
Zuora Product Team

Thank you, @rjohnson, will put a note out when we're ready for you to take a test drive of these API's.

Nigel
Master

Hi - Any more news on when this might be comming out?  Trying to keep live and and dev environments in sync, and audit changes is a nightmare right now.

iChasney
Tutor

This really is a must have feature as we're really struggling with this issue

martinp123
Scholar

This is crucial missing bit for a lot of work I do day-to-day. Ability to export (and import) and then locally diff the configuration would save me hours of laborious manual clicking-around work that I have to do to ensure the configuration is correct across different environments. Please give me a shout when this is ready!

jamiedavidson
Savvy Scholar

Just wanted to add one more comment to say yes please, this would save me so much time and effort as we have 3 different environments, 2 sandboxes and a live environment. The amount of man hours the team have collectively lost to manual configuration syncing must be insane.